Thursday, January 23, 2014

Q&A w/ Darren Banks, the "Guru of the SotF Odds-makers"

For years, Darren Banks has been making his way through fields of gore and debris, crunching numbers and assessing the lucky cast of the next season of Survival of the Fittest – TV. Now with the playing field of TV irrevocably changed with the addition of teams, he sits down with us to talk tactics, sure bets, and his own brief brush with SOTF-TV fame.

---

“I could have been a star, you know that?”

Darren Banks sits across from me, sprawled out in his seat. Outside it's a pleasant day in Palm Springs, although Darren assures me they don't get too many here. Sitting in at around two-hundred and eighty pounds, Darren Banks says that he doesn't have many pleasant days.
“I coulda' won,” he continues, fiddling with the tab on his half-empty can of soda. He looks wistfully out the window, watching tourists walk by. One wears a blue jersey, the last name Stadler plastered across the back. Darren Banks doesn't hide the sad smile that crosses his face. When he speaks again he's far away.

“I was in Grade Twelve, back when Season uh, Sixty- no, Fifty-Three, was being picked. I remember sitting on that fuckin' school bus, blood racing in my veins. No one wanted to think about it, right? That was the shit that made kids wake up in the middle of the night piss-scared. Well, some kids. Not me.”

Darren pauses, letting out a belch and running the rest of his soda down his throat. When he starts speaking again he has an excited glint to his speech.

“So, I went to Westmore Heights High, and up until early May of that year, we were gonna' be the class, we were going to be celebrities. But things changed- the highups, they didn't want another California school. That's as close as an answer as they'll ever give me... bullshit, I know. But for the first few months of my senior year, I was gonna be famous. Then the trip came and well, plans changed. My bus to fortune and fame never showed up. You know the only reason I went on that friggin' trip was the idea of it being a set-up for the show? I coulda' won. I swear, I coulda' won.”

With his double chin and his ballooning waistline, it's hard to take Darren Banks seriously. But when it comes to the topic of SOTF-TV, Darren has nothing to joke about. The self-proclaimed “Guru of SOTF-TV” is a veritable encyclopedia of knowledge when it comes to America's darling, the blood sport Survival of the Fittest.

“I know everything,” Darren says adamantly. “Every stat, every name, every school and every damn kill. I watched the re-runs my dad had taped for me, I livestream every episode online. I've written articles, books. I'm a self-made man, and I've got to thank SOTF-TV for everything it's done for me.”

Darren rises from the table, throwing a twenty down casually on the table for a tip. With a smile to the waitress he makes his way to the parking lot where his brand new car sits waiting. He grins at me and thumbs his nose. Darren Banks isn't lying when he says that SOTF-TV has given him everything; five years ago, Darren put all his savings down in Vegas, betting on meek, black-horse Danielle Austen to win Season Sixty-One of Survival of the Fittest. Be it luck, or as Darren states, a combination of intuition and knowledge of the inner works of the game, Danielle surprised everyone and turned Darren's meagre bet into a fortune overnight. Now, a self-made millionaire, Darren spends his time refining his betting “technique” and engaging in the massively popular SOTF-TV subculture.

“I always knew I would be, in uh-, as in, I would be a SOTF-TV person,” Darren says as we drive back toward his home.

“That was just who I was, from the second I saw my first episode uh, Bones' death, Season One on my Dad's beat-up DVD player, I knew. Shit, this was me, this was my life! SOTF-TV supporter until the day I die, and I was SO close to getting on the island. You wouldn't believe the revenge fantasies I had boiling around in my skull. People think that just cus' I'm fat, I wouldn't stand a chance. That survival would depend on just raw luck, a weapon draw.”

Darren shakes his head, giggling to himself. “Oh, there's always a chance, if you know the secret. But I'm not tellin'- what's the fun in watching if I go blabbing the trade secrets?”

----

Despite Darren's insistence on keeping all the tricks of his trade a secret, he still has plenty to say. Recently Darren has united with Billy King, another prominent voice in the SOTF-TV world, and written a book in preparation for the upcoming season. Based on sixty-five seasons of knowledge, Banks and King attempt to explain the underlying tactics of the game, how to go about picking a winner, and for younger viewers, what to do in case you yourself are stuck in SOTF-TV. And while Darren is tight-lipped about the contents of the book he was more than happy to sit-in with us for a brief Q&A!

Q: Thanks for taking the time to stop in with us, Darren. Shall we begin?

DARREN: Go ahead man, shoot. Let's get this ball fuckin' rollin'.

Q: You are perhaps one of the most vocal members of the SOTF-TV community, certainly described as passionate by your friends. Can you ever foresee a day when SOTF-TV will shut its doors for good?

DARREN: Ah man, I'm nothin' but a filthy otaku, that's all. [LAUGHS] I've got to say, honestly? As long as America is here, land of the free and the brave, SOTF-TV isn't going anywhere. I'll be watching this show until the day I die, and the reason is that it's never the same, it can never be! It's constantly shifting, it can't be predicted.

Q: But you make a living doing just that, predicting the results of the game. Haven't you said yourself that there's a formula to figuring out who will win?

DARREN: Not in the way you're thinkin'. The producers, they know they've got something real and they don't want to mess with a good thing. Nothing is scripted on SOTF-TV, everything is live. But you're right, there IS a formula to figure out who'll win.

Q: Will you divulge even just a part of how you do it?

DARREN: You can read about it more in my new book coming out, but sure, I'll oblige ya'. Basically, the reason why so many people mess-up predicting who will win SOTF-TV is they're going about it all wrong. They look to take out variables- weapon draws, physical fitness, anything that will narrow it down to raw stats. This student is stronger, so on an equal playing field he'll kill the weaker dude, get it? But you can't remove that stuff. You can't think of the cast of SOTF-TV as raw data that will always obey 100% of the time.

Q: So it's luck?

DARREN: No, not luck either. I knew from the first time I read her profile that Danielle [Austen] would win her season. I suppose it does take some luck, sure. But at its core you also need that skill, to deny that part of your brain that is uh, trying to sort everything into a clear-cut solution. Your gut sometimes knows best, and your gut never wilfully lies. Take for example last season, Shawn and Mason. It ended in a coin-flip, of all fucking things! The stats guys, they were ragin', going nuts. All this effort trying to calculate their ability to kill, their physical fitness, cunning, all smashed to ribbons. Because they're only considered with the raw data, the straight and narrow line. But SOTF-TV odds are a rough and turbulent sea, and every cast member has their own little dinky fuckin' boat. Sure, some might be bigger than others at the start of the storm, but that isn't what matters. I'd take a sea-worthy paddleboat over a yacht filled with leaks anyday.

Q: So what you're saying is... you predict the unpredictable?

DARREN: Awh man, I'm shit at explanations. [LAUGHS] Basically, I don't remove variables. I add them, I run scenarios over and over in my mind, I study personality, I study the previous seasons. I collect, I collect, and I don't rule anything out. That's the basics of it. There's more, actual uh, scientific formulas I've worked out, but that'd just be spoiling my book, right?

Q: Let's talk about last season. Obviously there is a huge shift now, in terms of strategy.

DARREN: People are freakin' out about it, talking about how this changes everything. And you know what? They don't get it, they think they do, but they just don't GET it. This doesn't just change the game, this isn't a costume gimmick. This is completely revolutionary, a factor that will throw every betting strategy through a window!

Q: Except yours, of course.

DARREN: Of course, [LAUGHS]. Listen, SOTF-TV has never been more alive. There were always alliances, but now there are solid alliances, alliances that the game officially sanctions and supports. Before, even if alliances were strong, their failure was inevitable. Only one could survive. But now the rules have changed and there are thousands of new factors to consider- Student A's girlfriend is on another team, Student B is on a team with people who bullied him, Student C wants to play but his teammates don't want to back him, and Student D, E and G have an uzi, baseball bat and a stick of gum, and they're going headhunting. And that doubt is now eliminated in certain individuals, alliances CAN work, they're allowed to work... but not ALL can work. It isn't going to be some sort of hippy-love and bromance. Expect the blood to pour and the ratings to soar this next season.

Q: You sound excited.

DARREN: I'm shaking in my seat just thinking about it, hah! This isn't even considering the 10-kill buyout rule. I honestly can't believe they haven't done this sooner. It truly is a great time to be alive.

Q: So let's move on to Season Sixty-Six. What can we expect?

DARREN: Well let's look at what the kids know. First off, the ten-kill buyout? Works like a charm. The example Karen Ruiz has set will be the long shadow stalking every player. Expect more aggression, especially from students with solid weapon draws and individualists. Expect mistrust, even between team members during the early game. Karen's gambit of tying multiple bandannas around her arm threw off some people, and that will be fresh in every students mind. Team-wise, I expect to see a lot more cooperation. The producers never made a move to invalidate the team rule, and really, to do so would be counter-productive and idiotic to the extreme. The confusion of the teams has worn off, everyone knows about it, and everyone is going to try to get an edge on that front.

In short? This will be an aggressive game, with no shortage of memorable scenes. I've got a feeling the producers aren't just going to sit and stew either. I bet you big money they're thinking up another twist to really spin the team dynamic on its head.

Q: Can you elaborate?

DARREN: Man, just speculation. But I tell ya', the odd-makers aren't gonna be sleepin' for awhile. [LAUGHS]

No comments:

Post a Comment