Friday, March 21, 2014

Let The Games Begin: Day 1 Team Discussion/First Impressions


Greetings, readers. I’m Vorpal Katana, AKA Jack, and I’ll be writing some blogs here. This is my first, obviously. It’ll be covering two things; my team analysis, where I’ll read over my thoughts on each team, as well as of some interesting points on the start of the show and what’s been happening thus far.

First of all, the teams; one of the biggest plot twists the show’s had, not to mention among the most successful. I’m not going to be explaining the team concept since it should be fairly obvious, but I will be offering my opinion on each team’s chances. Now then, let’s get started.

Amber Eagles: Hoo, boy, can we say "trainwreck"? Let's see; useless mentor, volatile and crazy people, a mess of good and bad weapons, and lovers with a third wheel outside the team? This cannot possibly end well for anyone involved.

Bronze Bears: Well they got some good weapons, but they're all super-nice. They might work well together but I don't see the killer instinct in any of them. Their mentor might prove helpful, but I dunno, I don't have high hopes.

Cobalt Jellyfish: Well not only do they have awful weapons, but they’re almost as dysfunctional as the Eagles. And to top it off, they’ve got a useless mentor! The Jellyfish are looking about as formidable as their namesake, without the sting. If a team is an easy out, it’ll be this one.

Cyan Stingrays: This team is deceptive I feel. Seemingly harmless with the exception of a very aggressive member, but with possibly the best utility pull in the game (team bandanas!) and possibly the best mentor as well, they could easily have a shot. Not much in the way of proper weapons, and they may not be formidable themselves, but I expect them to surprise us.

Ebony Whales: This team is interesting. The people are broken in general, the mentor is quite likely useless, but they have a series of excellent weapon draws. I have no idea what’s going to happen with them, but it’ll certainly be interesting, and I bet at least one of ‘em will do well.

Golden Hyenas: All these people are so strange that I can’t see them working well together. They have Mason as a leader, at least. I bet he’ll do well for them if anyone can, based on his game. But once again, 3 guns is always a hugely useful draw. I think they’ll do just fine.

Honey Badgers: This team got gipped in weapon draws, with the best weapons being a knife and a trident. Their mentor might be beneficial (key work might), but they’ll need to be crafty, and I don’t see that trait in most of them.

Ivory Sharks: Everyone here has some kind of useful weapon, from a small knife to two swords and a gun. Heck, they got grenades! I have absolutely no idea how they’ll work with that mentor of theirs, but it’s entirely possible they could be contenders.

Jade Rhinos: This time our loner is actually a pair of loners. Neither of them got really good weapons, but their mentor might be extremely useful. Still, I don’t foresee them having a good shot given the inherently significant disadvantages of less teammates.

Rainbow Parrots: If of all the teams I had to pick the one that could go either way in terms of success above all others, it’d be this one. Some got really good weapons, and some got useless junk. That mentor could either be extremely helpful or completely useless. This one could do anything, either.

Rose Foxes: If I was to pick a winning team this could well be it. They have a lot going for them; potential for teamwork, a very good mix of weapons, and a mentor who’s been around since the beginning of SOTF. I’ll be very disappointed if this team doesn’t do well, since I can see them pulling something through.

Scarlet Panthers: But on the other hand, this team I can see as a Purple Team-esque group. They’ve all got good weapons and mostly physical prowess. Their mentor is probably not anything special, but I can see some good stuff coming from them if not necessarily winning.

Silver Scorpions: This team doesn’t really stand out to me that much honestly but I can see the mentor being helpful. I honestly don’t know, though; they might be good at working together but I see internal conflict being a potential issue they’ll face.

Tan Bats: I love their mentor’s show! But they all have melee weapons and I don’t know how well they’ll handle the situation, and they may not be a big threat later on. I can see them being solid early-game motivators that fall off, easily.

Violet Wolves: Yay, Jared! This team I have hopes for. They may not be impressive themselves, but honestly, who was excited for the purple team before Jared was there? I totally think they could pull something akin to last time I think.

Anyway, that’s all for the teams, but let’s talk for a bit about what the actual players have been doing so far.

One of the most interesting things I’ve seen so far that is fourth-wall-breaking introductions. Many kids seem to be opening themselves up by chatting with the camera. While obviously most other versions have camera rants, I’m surprised by how prevalent they became so quickly. Of all the people who’ve made camera speeches, I found Erik Lowell’s news reporting to be endearing, Lukas Graves’ bragging to be aggravating and Taylor DeVashor’s advertising to be obnoxious.

Another interesting occurrence that seems prevalent is reckless early offensives. Vahka Basayev and Isaiah Halls both made aggressive plays early on. Vahka stands out, beating the shit out of poor Marcus Redder and then robbing him. He’s certainly one to watch for now.

Other people to watch are, I’d say, Zoe Walker and Lukas Graves. Lukas is your classic hater and apparently trolls forums, but I think he and Zoe have some good chemistry and could be really interesting. I imagine they’ll go up in flames if Lukas gets careless but that could also be interesting.

Also potential stars; Sebastien, Anastasia Arcadia and Shawn Thornton could act as a fun comic relief group though I’m not fond of “AnArchy’s” shenanigans, so her boy toy’s straight-man attitudes could be refreshing. Austin White’s pulling some kind of gambit and it could be interesting to see where he goes.

Overall, I’d say Season 66 has been more intelligence-based than 65, where people tended to screw around and act out to get fame. Here I think, with some exceptions, people are playing to win, and that means a more cutthroat, ruthless game. I look forward to the rest of the season, and I hope you all do, too!


This is Vorpal Katana signing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment